Region : Stellenbosch
Making wine since 1998
Farming : 5 generations in the Muldersvlei area
Export: Local 70:30
Cellar Door : Yes , Tastings and Sales
Restaurant : The Table at De Meye (Winner of the 2016 Eat Out Woolworths Sustainability Award)
Winemaker : Marcus Milner- since 1999, that’s commitment!
Vineyard guy and jack of all trades: Philip Myburgh
De Meye, found on the northern side of Stellenbosch, 15km out of the village and 45km from Cape Town. This is an authentic farming set up where the vineyards are farmed, wine is made & matured and leaves the farm in a bottle. No grapes or bulk wine is sourced from elsewhere, no corporate investors, just a few farming folk doing their thing, plying their trade, doing what they know best!
De Meye Harvest Report 2017
- This was by far the smallest harvest we have brought into the cellar in the last 20 years.
- This is obviously due to the very dry winter and growing season we experienced.
- But making up for lack of quantity, was quality.
- This is arguably one of the best harvests we have had in the last 20 years.
- The analysis of the grapes was outstanding, low ph and really good acid, colour exceptional.
- Not one tank has been allocated to a second label, this is also a first for us.
Winery of the month – De Meye Specials
Pay for 11 bottles get the 12th bottle free!
Block V, our Single Vineyard Old Vine Chenin:
Classified as a Single Vineyard in 2015, this old block was planted in 1978, so next year we will be celebrating 40 years!
This old bush vineyard, seems to handle the drought conditions far better than the younger trellised vineyards. This has partly to do with the fact that it has been farmed as a dryland vineyard from the start (1978), as opposed to having a permanent dripper line in the vineyard, it has no supplementary irrigation at all. This would mean that Block V would have a very well developed root system, and would be use to searching for water. This harvest, we decided to wood 20% of this wine and then blend it back with the rest before bottling in August. We have just released this wine and it really showing very well now, but will open up further over the next 3 years.